AddressPražský hrad, 118 00 Praha-Praha 1, Česká republika
Pražský hrad, 118 00 Praha-Praha 1, Česká republika
+420 224 371 111
The panorama of the Prague Castle is one of the most famous views of Prague. The Czech rulers moved their seat to the Prague Castle as early as the 9th century and at this time they built the second oldest Christian church in the country here. Many Czech sovereigns ruled from here and took part in the long development of the Prague Castle complex. After the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1918 the Prague Castle became the seat of the Czech presidents.
The Prague Castle consists of three courtyards. The first courtyard is sometimes called the Court of Honour and witnesses the arrival of many state visitors. The second courtyard leads onto the third courtyard, which is dominated by the Cathedral of St Vitus and from which one can enter the Old Royal Palace.
One of the most visited places in the Prague Castle is undoubtedly the Golden Lane, according to old legends the home of alchemists working at the court of Rudolph II.