Prague
EuropeCzech RepublicMoraviaPragueSouthBohemia
Share
Tweet

Kinský garden

Address

náměstí Kinských 234/5, 150 00 Praha 5-Smíchov, Česká republika
On the south side of Petřín, where the Kinský Garden is situated today, there used to be a vineyard of the Plasy Monastery from the 12th century, with a yard and a small church destroyed by the Hussites in 1429. The place remained desolate and was named Vrabcovna. There were only vegetable gardens in the lower part of the estate. These were bought in 1828 from Václav Novotný by Růžena Kinská, mother of the founder of the future garden. In the same year, prince Rudolf Kinský began building a magnificent garden with a summer residence. The garden was designed by Kinský’s steward František Hóhnel, who also managed the works. The summer residence was designed by architect Jindřich Koch who probably also designed the basic layout and spatial arrangement of the flat part of the garden, developed on the axis directed to the Church of Our Lady before Týn and the main residence of the Kinský family, the palace on the Old Town Square next to the church. Several hundred of workers reportedly worked on the difficult landscaping. The construction of the Empire summer residence was finished in 1831, and landscaping and planting was completed, numerous springs were detected, paths were constructed, tunnels were dug, and two ponds with a waterfall in between were created by 1836.